The Federal Planning Bureau (FPB) produces macroeconomic forecasts for the federal government within the framework of the preparation of the federal budget (June and September) and of the budget review (February). Ultimate responsibility for these forecasts (also known as the ‘Economic Budget’) lies with the board of the National Accounts Institute.
The forecasts concern the components of GDP, both on the expenditure side (consumption, gross capital formation, exports and imports) and on the revenue side. They also deal with the revenue and expenditure flows between the different institutional sectors, with inflation and with the labour market.
Methods and instruments
The three main instruments are:
- the short-term national macroeconomic models MODTRIM I (annual model) and MODTRIM II (quarterly model);
- the inflation module (on a monthly basis);
- the system of leading indicators of the FPB.
The results of the Economic Budgets of February, June and September are published by means of a press release and a statistical appendix. A more detailed publication is produced for the Economic Budgets of February and September.
The detailed statistical appendix of the latest Economic Budget is available under the heading Data.
The last five press releases [More]
- Belgian economic growth is expected to amount to 1.7 % in both 2017 and 201807/09/2017
- Belgian economic growth should amount to 1.6 % both in 2017 and 201808/06/2017
- The growth of the Belgian economy should slightly pick up to 1.4 % in 201709/02/2017
- Belgian economic growth should slow down somewhat from 1.4% in 2016 to 1.2% in 201708/09/2016
- Belgian economic growth should amount to 1.2% in 2016 and 1.5% in 201709/06/2016
The last five databases [More]
- Consumer Price Index - Inflation forecasts 02/01/2018
- Economic budget 2018 / september 2018 - Statistical annex 07/09/2017
The last five publications [More]
- Budget économique - Prévisions économiques 2017-2018 (Septembre 2017)
Economische begroting - Economische vooruitzichten 2017-2018 (September 2017) 30/09/2017
- Accuracy assessment of the FPB short-term forecasts - An update 29/09/2017
- Prévisions économiques 2017 - juin
Economische vooruitzichten 2017 - juni 08/06/2017
- Prévisions économiques 2017
Economische vooruitzichten 2017 28/02/2017
- Prévisions économiques 2016-2017 (Septembre 2016)
Economische vooruitzichten 2016-2017 (September 2016) 30/09/2016