The FPB has developed a model (PLANET) which models the evolution of transport demand. The construction of the model started in 2004. A first version became operational in 2008.
The model is used to produce:
- long-term projections of transport demand in Belgium, both for passenger and freight transport;
- simulations of the effects of transport policy measures;
- cost-benefit analyses of transport policy measures.
The model consists of four main modules: MACRO, TRANSPORT, POLICY and WELFARE.
- The main aim of the MACRO module is to provide macroeconomic, demographic and socio-demographic projections at the level of the NUTS3 zones for Belgium (43 administrative districts).
- The level and composition of transport demand is provided by the TRANSPORT module according to the following steps:
- the generation of transport demand in each Belgian NUTS3 zone;
- the distribution of transport originating in each NUTS3 zone among the different NUTS3 zones;
- the modal choice and choice of time of day for the journey.
- The POLICY module summarizes the transport policies that are analysed in the alternative scenarios.
- Finally, the WELFARE module computes the effects of transport policy measures on welfare.
The long-term transport projections in Belgium and the impact analyses of transport policies are realized in collaboration with the Federal Public Service Mobility and Transport (www.mobilit.belgium.be). The projections are published every three years. The first publication dates back to 2009.
The last five press releases [More]
- Transport de personnes : sommet en vue ?
Personenvervoer: piek in zicht?31/01/2019
- On the road again . . . again . . .
On the road again . . . again . . .08/12/2015
- Destination 2030 : autoroute du chaos ou itinéraires alternatifs?
Bestemming 2030: chaos op de autowegen of alternatieve trajecten?17/09/2012
- Transport emissions – Historic evolution and outlook06/10/2009
- Perspectives à long terme de l’évolution des transports en Belgique: projection de référence
Langetermijnvooruitzichten voor transport in België: referentiescenario24/04/2009
The last five databases [More]
The last five publications [More]
- The PLANET Model : Methodological Report PLANET 4.0 27/02/2020
- Total cost of ownership of electric cars compared to diesel and gasoline cars in Belgium 27/12/2019
- Perspectives de la demande de transport en Belgique à l’horizon 2040
Vooruitzichten van de transportvraag in België tegen 2040 31/01/2019
- Future evolution of the car stock in Belgium: CASMO, the new satellite of PLANET 31/01/2019
- Vehicle stock modelling in long term projections - Survey of the literature 26/07/2017