Besides analysing the budget outlooks for the pension schemes and the scheme of guaranteed income for the elderly, the FPB also examines these schemes from the point of view of income distribution.
What are the redistribution aspects of the different pension schemes? How does the poverty risk develop among pensioners? Are statutory pensions an efficient tool for fighting against poverty amongst the elderly? If so, will this still be the case in the years to come? How will the replacement rates of the different pensioner categories develop in each pension scheme? What would be the impact of reforms on the amount of the pension benefit for various types of beneficiaries? These are a few examples of the questions the Federal Planning Bureau is trying to answer.
Methods and tools
Parallel to analysing the suitability of the different statutory pension schemes in the fight against poverty and the evolution of the poverty rates (according to various data sources), the FPB also uses the following instruments:
- the MALTESE model, used to study the repercussions of the evolution of socioeconomic behaviours as well as of social policy measures on future benefit rates within the context of population ageing;
- MIDAS, a dynamic micro-simulation model based on a representative sample survey of the population using administrative data and which gives a long-term projection of the risk of poverty, the degree of pension inequality and other indicators with regard to pension adequacy (see WP 10-10).
The last five press releases [More]
- Projection jusqu’en 2030 de la population exposée à un risque de pauvreté ou d’exclusion sociale en Belgique
Projectie tot 2030 van de bevolking met een risico op armoede of sociale uitsluiting in België28/11/2016
- Assessing adequacy of pensions02/03/2009
- Simulating the impact of the pension bonus on the financial implications of working longer18/12/2006
The last five databases [More]
- No records
The last five publications [More]
- A comparative analysis of deprivation among the elderly in Belgium 10/07/2019
- Medium-term projection for Belgium of the at-risk-of-poverty and social exclusion indicators based on EU-SILC 28/02/2019
- What are the consequences of the AWG 2018 projections and hypotheses on pension adequacy? Simulations for three EU member states 29/06/2018
- Population projections 2016-2060 : sensitivity analyses, alternative scenarios and budgetary and social impact 05/02/2018
- The population at risk of poverty or social exclusion in Belgium - Projection until 2030 28/11/2016