The methodology behind the environmental economic accounts allows to link environmental data to economic data. As a result, the environmental economic accounts provide the ideal database for environmental economic analysis and the construction of indicators to monitor sustainable development policy targets. The demand for these types of analysis and indicators is clearly increasing worldwide, as more and more policy makers are becoming aware of the fact that imbalances in the environmental systems can put economic growth, well-being and development at risk. The European Commission actively supports environmental economic analysis by providing calculation tools to the EU member countries.
The Federal Planning Bureau has published several papers illustrating how the combination of environmental and economic data can lead to revealing insights. The Planning Papers series of the FPB contains several issues which give an overview of the environmental economic accounts that have been compiled for Belgium and provide the results of different applications of these accounts. A more detailed account of environmental economic analyses by the FPB can be found in the Working Paper series.
Over the past few years, the environmental economic analysis of the FPB has focused mainly on air emissions and energy use. These are some of the topics that were addressed: emission and energy intensities for both Belgian industries and households; the link of air emissions with offshoring; environmental leakage of air emissions through international trade; and the decomposition of the evolution of carbon dioxide emissions by the Belgian industries.
The last five press releases [More]
- La Belgique: un importateur net d’émissions de gaz à effet de serre
België: netto-invoerder van broeikasgasemissies29/09/2017
The last five databases [More]
- No records
The last five publications [More]
- Analysis of the air pollution associated with household consumption in Belgium in 2014: the case of greenhouse gas emissions 05/09/2019
- Belgium’s Carbon Footprint - Calculations based on a national accounts consistent global multi-regional input-output table 28/09/2017
- Is offshoring driven by air emissions? Testing the pollution haven effect for imports of intermediates 11/10/2013
- Does Offshoring Contribute to Reducing Air Emissions? Evidence from Belgian Manufacturing 24/05/2013
- Documents presented at the Workshop "Economic analyses of the environment in Belgium, the Regions and Europe" 13/09/2012